This tutorial shows how to make a fabric pot in 5 minutes.
With only 6 seams, any beginner can make a beautiful fabric pot. Follow the 12 steps below !
The easiest way is explained here ! Have fun !
What you need :
- a sewing machine
- 2 rectangles of fabric (any size)
- an iron and iron table
1. Cut 2 rectangular shapes from fabric
Cut the fabric in 2 rectangle shapes (cutting on top of each other helps to make sure they are the exact same size).
Make sure the rectangles’ shapes are quite long (a square shape wouldn’t work). Here’s an example of the result you can get depending of the shape of your fabric at the start.
For my project, the rectangle shapes are quite long.
2. Sew one of the long side rectangle.
Put fabric’s right face on each other and sew one of the longest side.
3. Iron the seam to flatten it
4. Fold the fabric in two as shown
5. Sew the sides together
6. Flatten the seam with the iron
7. Fold the fabric back together and flatten the seam again.
It creates a kind of pocket.
8. Sew each layer of the remaining side together
9. Measure the width of the “pocket”
In this example my pocket measures 16 inches wide. That means that the fabric pot (once finished) will measure 8 inches on each side.
10. Open the pocket and flatten the bottom in a kind of diamond shape.
Let each side fall back inside and flatten the corners of a diamond shape.
Place needles on opposite corners as shown below. Each seam must measure 8 inches long (or half the length of the pocket you measured before).
Each opposite corners have been sewed.
11. Now you can open your box !!
Turn it over so that the 2 triangle wings move inside.
That way, the seams are inside, hidden by the 2 triangles. No visible seam at all !
12. Sew the bottom of the box and the triangles together
RESULT : Tadaaam !! Fold down the box top and your sweet pot is finished !!
Your Fabric Pots can look like that :
Nice, don’t you think ?
Little trick :
In order to reinforce the pot, I added a carpet square on the bottom. That’s for the “cosy” final touch !
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and that it was understandable. If you have any questions or remarks, feel free to ask through the comments below.
I look forward to seeing your beautiful boxes ! It would look fabulous with pattern fabric !
A bientôt !! : )